A minimum cast would be approximately a dozen children, though there is no upper limit for the Chorus of Villagers. There are 10 solo singing parts, and 2 non-singing roles. There is an opportunity for younger children to be involved too, in a short nativity scene during one of the songs.
- Papa Panov, shoemaker, the main character. Requires a strong performer, as he has solo parts in 11 songs - solos, duets, trios and chorus numbers.
- Narrator - also has an important role, but is not required to sing.
- Young Papa Panov - has 2 songs.
- Tatiana Panov (his wife),
- Martin Panov (his eldest son) &
- Simon Panov (his youngest son) share 1 song with Young Papa.
- The Priest has 1 song, a duet with Young Papa.
- Stepanich, a road-sweeper has a solo song that is reprised twice.
- A Young Woman also has a solo song which is reprised twice later in the play.
- Granny Adveich, candy-maker and
- Ivana, a poor girl share a duet, again reprised later.
- The Voice of Jesus is a speaking part only. Only a couple of lines, but significant.
- The Chorus of Villagers play an important role, with 7 songs in total.
- Optional characters (singing): A Family, have one verse in one of Papa's songs. Song could be sung by the whole chorus.
- Optional characters (non-singing): Joseph, Mary, Innkeeper, Angels, Shepherds, 3 wise men, to act a mini-nativity scene during one song.
Now that you know a bit about the story and the characters, don't you think it's time to hear some of the music? LET'S GO!>>>